Pram fire takes 13 to hospital

December 23, 2011 by · Leave a Comment 

Thirteen people were hospitalised after a pram in a close was set on fire. All were later released after being treated for varying degrees of smoke inhalation.

The incident, in Calder Street on the city’s Southside, highlights the dangers of storing anything in common areas.

Polmadie and Castlemilk fire crews wearing breathing apparatus, quickly extinguished the minor blaze. But it generated an extremely large volume of thick smoke which quickly rose to the top of the four storey tenement.

Alarmed residents on opening their doors to check on the commotion in the building, breathed in the potentially dangerous fumes. As fire service personnel brought residents out of the building, ambulance and police ensured everyone was taken to safety, quickly.

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue personnel emphasise that especially at this time of year with Christmas decorations and parties, they will come to give a free Home Fire Safety Visit at an agreed time.

Experience fire crew assess the individual home and offer fire safety advice tailored to that property and the people living there. This can include the fitting of smoke alarms.

Man, 61, dies after fire breaks out in Gorbals flats

December 16, 2009 by · Leave a Comment 

Smoke and fire damage at Waddell Court can be seen from Ballater Street

Smoke and fire damage at Waddell Court can be seen from Ballater Street

A man has died and two other adults were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a fifth-floor maisonette flat in the Gorbals.

 

 

More than 40 people were rescued or escorted from their homes at 83 Waddell Court after fire crews were called to the block at around 3am on Wednesday morning.

Firefighters had to force their way into the property where the 61-year-old was found.

At the height of the blaze, 20 fire appliances were at the scene and 20 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were in action inside the building.

The fire was brought under control at around 7am and the eastbound lane of nearby Ballater Street was closed until mid-morning.

Tenants who were moved from their homes were fed and accommodated at Gorbals Leisure Centre.

Area Commander Garry Milne, one of the officers in charge during the incident, said: ‘In my 20-plus years in the fire service I have never seen such a fierce fire in a property such as this.’

On Wednesday afternoon, Strathclyde Police, Fire & Rescue and council officials were planning contingency measures for the tenants at Waddell Court.

Glasgow Housing Association said the entire building, 77 flats, had been evacuated. The landlord hopes to have returned as many tenants to their homes as possible by Wednesday evening. Others will be moved to hotels, bed and breakfast accommodation or housed temporarily in furnished flats.

GHA’s Acting Director of Housing and Customer Services, Alex McGuire, said: ‘We are doing everything possible to help the families who are affected by the fire.

‘Investigations by Strathclyde Fire & Rescue and Strathclyde Police are continuing. Some of the homes have suffered fire and smoke damage and others have been affected by water damage.

‘Until inquiries are complete and properties are habitable a number of tenants will be unable to return to their homes.

‘We will put these families up in alternative accommodation and do everything we can to ensure their comfort and well-being.

‘GHA and other agencies are co-operating fully with the investigation.’