A recent story about the concerns of people in Summerston area of Maryhill who believe they were exposed to asbestos when houses were being ripped apart to instal new bathrooms and kitchens, is gathering momentum. Several individuals have contacted this website and told of their fears. If you have concerns about asbestos in your home being disturbed during major renovations in any part of Glasgow, please contact us by leaving a comment below in the comment box. Or phone 0141 226 4712.
Allegations that workers and tenants were in contact with asbestos which was disturbed during re-furbishment work by Glasgow Housing Association (GHA) contractors, are being investigated by this website.
Said Glasgow City Councillor, Billy McAllister: ‘I’m checking this out. If it is true, it is very serious and not an issue that can be ignored.’ He later confirmed he had spoken to individuals who were able to confirm the allegations but were not able to do so publicly.
Local MSP Bob Doris also told this website: ‘I have been representing a number of constituents in relation to how Glasgow Housing Association has conducted asbestos management in their properties during improvement works recently. These constituents do not wish to be named and have asked that their confidentiality is respected. The cases all relate to a specific area of Maryhill. To date, my constituents have not been satisfied by the responses from GHA. As a result, I intend making the new Scottish Housing Minister, Keith Brown, aware of these concerns with a view to the possibility of an external review of GHA’s procedures for asbestos management. I believe it would also be appropriate to make the Health and Safety Executive aware of these matters. My preference is to work constructively with GHA to improve their asbestos management and provide my constituents with the reassurance they need. I have already conveyed my concerns direct to the GHA on a number of occasions.’
The area where this is alleged to have happened is in the Summerston district of Maryhill. Some of those affected would appear to have been sworn to silence with a £200,000 agreement.
Work on fitting new kitchens and bathrooms took place in the area some time ago.
But Sean Clerkin, chair of Glasgow Home Owners’ Campaign said: ‘If anyone, anywhere in the city, thinks they may have been exposed to asbestos during refurbishment work, we want to hear from you!’ The number to phone is: 07948 010959.
GHA spokesperson said: “The health and safety of our tenants, factored homeowners and staff is an absolute priority and we have rigorous asbestos safety measures in place. All appropriate measures are taken to remove any risk of customers and staff being exposed to asbestos where it is present and likely to be disturbed by improvement works. As long as it is not disturbed or broken, asbestos is not a danger and this is the reason GHA always takes great care to ensure health and safety risk assessments and method statements are submitted to us, where required, before any work is carried out.
‘If asbestos work is required in a home, the work is carried out by fully-trained professionals using the proper safety equipment. The Health and Safety Executive recently inspected our asbestos removal procedures and confirmed they worked well. We are happy to work with any elected member to address any outstanding concerns they may have over our safety procedures.’
It is ironic these allegations surface in the week when Scottish Government legislation to safeguard people whose health has been affected by asbestos, comes into force.
Something is cooking for a Glasgow family and an after-school care club in Glasgow after they both scooped £3000 first prizes in an Ikea competition.
Mother-of-five Anne Cannon, from Baillieston, and Barlanark Out-of-School Care Club were the big winners as Ikea launched their latest catalogue. Both winners made kitchens their priority when it comes to splashing out.
Entrants were asked to say in 50 words why they deserved to win the prizes in the UK-wide competition.
Barlanark childcare worker Donna Keown said: ‘When I got the phone call to say we’d won I was completely taken aback. This means we’ll be able to give the kitchen a makeover and get lots of new equipment and toys for the children.’
Barlanark Out-of-School Care Club has been running for 13 years and caters for up to 70 children from local primary and secondary schools.
Anne and husband John have been looking to upgrade their kitchen since 2005.
‘Our kitchen is beyond repair,’ said Anne. ‘It needs some tender loving care now. It has been looking fairly sad for some time. We’d like to use the kitchen as a place for all the family to gather and help prepare the meal and share in the chat.’
The Cannons had their kitchen plans well in hand when they visited Ikea Glasgow store manager Lars Wingren to collect their prize.
‘The judging panel had a tough job,’ said Lars, ‘But both recipients are worthy winners.’